Thursday, May 24, 2012

Day 1: Getting Settled

 

So after unpacking and putting away the suitcases, the girls and I ventured out on our own to find the grocery store.  We (I) was hoping to go to the one that was the 2nd closest because we were told it was "bigger."  I set out and realized the map with the grocery stores on it really was not going to help us get there because the map didn't show street names, etc.  So we just ventured in the general direction and asked a couple people to help us along the way.  I was so excited to find it!!!  (It was basically luck because even here my map reading skills are no better - however finding things on foot is easier than by car). 

So we walked in, the girls got little carts (and knowing we had to carry back what we bought I decided filling the carts were the perfect size for the three bags I brought for us to carry things home in).

So, we got there about 11:30 a.m. and it was busy!  I thought surely all the bikes outside were just parked there for other reasons.  But, no.  The store was very busy.  I clicked these pictures when we were in aisles by ourselves (to not look too much like a tourist, although just by looking at us it's fairly obvious that we probably are).

It seems that Japanese stores are set up that people stop in for lunch.  There are a great deal of one-serving portioned food (sandwiches, sushi, etc) right as you walk in the door.  Then later I noticed beyond the cash registers were microwaves and cooking ovens that people were heating the food up in.  So, maybe instead of going to McDonald's, people here go to 'Life' (the grocery we went to) for lunch.  How much healthier is that than American culture???

Another difference is that package size is smaller.  I don't think they make gallons of milk here.  One post I'll do coming up is on the sizes of things.  I know it has to do with space in living accommodations.  There are very different living arrangements when you have to put lots of people in the land between mountains and ocean...

And one final tidbit about our grocery trip...the bill.  I'm glad since I was overwhelmed with Sarah running in to people with her cart, just with finding things in the store, asking the store clerks to find milk and peanut butter and figuring out why the cashiers (there were two per line) didn't care when I handed them my bags to put the stuff in (apparently at that store it's like Aldi where you go to a counter after you pay and bag your stuff) that I didn't really think about how much I was paying.  So, basically we got some milk, apple juice, bread, peanut butter, frozen pizza, spaghetti, sauce, bread sticks, broccoli, yogurt, jelly.  Here is the bill:
3343 Yen...$41.79.  And when you add the 480 yen ($6) I spent at the fruit stand for 2 bananas, 2 apples and 1 orange.  I basically spent $50 for meals of spaghetti, frozen pizza and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  Things cost more here.  It's an adjustment.  And, since the apartment we stay offers breakfast Monday - Friday - we'll definitely not miss a day!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah for the free breakfast! Feels like a secret bonus when there's free food avaiable:) its so fun reading about your trip, my doll says hi to your doll:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE these pictures of the girls!! They look like they are having a great time!! So glad that you all are adjusting and enjoying learning about a different culture. Keep up this great blog so we can all enjoy this adventure with you!!

    ReplyDelete