Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Weekend 1: Korean Music Festival - Entertainment

Jim and I loved listening and watching the entertainment during the Korean Music Festival that we stumbled upon.  There were very few English speaking people there.  I asked a Caucasian lady if she spoke English (stereotype, I know).  If I had to venture a guess she was from England.  But, she was the one who told me we were enjoying a Korean celebration.

We wanted to share with you some of the musical entertainment and celebration we enjoyed.  The first group, Nanta, is apparently fairly popular (this according to Miyuki upon our return).  This group wears chef uniforms, including the tall hat, and uses knives on a chopping block to make music.  They also chop things up during their performance which is cool, but the video we are sharing doesn't include that.  Looking more information up online, I've learned that they are dubbed - Korean Preforming Chefs.  So see, my interpretation was accurate!  Nanta seems to also be a long running popular musical performance in Korea. 

Here is a snippet about this group from a Yahoo site:  "As the kitchen in most societies tends to be the hub of life, it was the easy choice when it came to formulating the kitchen setting into the performance for mass relativity. In 1999, the Edinburgh Festival featured Nanta's debuted performances. The performing troop has been unstoppable ever since."  (http://voices.yahoo.com/nanta-korean-performing-chefs-3684750.html).  Here is a little of the performance we saw.  Jim and I would love to see them again if they every came to the United States.



I showed the program to Miyuki and unfortunately it was in Korean.  Which makes sense since it was a Korean festival!  Korean is not the same as Japanese, of course, so she was only able to pick out that this was a research group.  But, their dancing was very nice and we wanted to share it with you.


And finally, this group of girls was from an elementary, middle and high school.  I had another video to upload and share but I've been fighting with it for two days now and my guess is that it's too long and that is why I'm having so much trouble.  Anyway, I had just wanted to share both of them, but one is enough for you to get the idea.  Enjoy!






1 comment:

  1. Christy: Looks like you guys are having a great time and stumbling onto some cool adventures. That Sarah is a girl after my own heart. Gotta love a wee one who loves her treats. Keep the updates coming. Cannot wait to hear about next weekend's adventures.

    ReplyDelete