Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Kimono Playdate


We had another playdate with our friends on the 10th floor!  As always, we spent hours and hours together sharing time and enjoying one another's company.  The girls played, but also tried on a Yukata.  This is a casual summer (cotton) kimono.  Aren't they just so cute?!?!

After the girls were finished trying on the yakatas, Miho and I spent time looking through a book she had about wearing kimonos, tying the belt/sashes...they can be tied in many different ways and different ways to fix your hair when wearing a kimono, etc.  She explained to me what some of the special markings were, how some are more formal than others, etc.  And then she showed me many of her kimonos - from casual to formal...all beautiful.  They are typically stored in a special box (because are often made of silk) so that bugs are kept from them and are wrapped very specially.  I should have taken a picture of that too, but I forgot.

Later in the afternoon the girls and I shared our glitter nail polish and I gave the girls manicures.
We feel blessed to have found such special friends to further share the Japanese Culture with us.

1 comment:

  1. Fun! My mom brought me a beautiful kimono style robe from Japan years ago. I loved it! Can't remember what I did with it. It was definitely a fave. The girls are beautiful and look like they're having lots of fun. We miss them!!! And we miss you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete