Thursday, July 5, 2012

Weekend 7: Shinsaibashi and Kindness


On Sunday, Jim took the girls to Spa World (an indoor pool with lazy river, splash areas, etc. and separate floors with hot tubs/spa areas, there is a men's floor and women's floor).  While they were there, Erin and I went to Shinsaidbashi - a well-known shopping area in Osaka.

We had been there last week with our friends from upstairs in the apartment building, but Erin and I wanted to go back (without the girls).  So, we shopped a little and spent the day together.

Before we went to this area, we set out to find the 100 Yen Shop.  This is our version of the Dollar Store.  Many of you know most of this story, but for those not on Facebook...after leaving the train station I stopped a girl and asked her if she could direct me to an address on my phone (the 100 Yen Shop address).  She got her boyfriend, he tapped it in his phone, pulled it up on the GPS and informed us that it was about a 15 minute walk.  I asked if they could point us in the right direction (I had photos from Google Maps of what street to turn on, etc.), but the guy said "Let's go."  And, although he and his girlfriend were not going that way (they were headed in another direction than we went when I stopped them) - they walked us the 15 minutes to get there - in the rain.

This particular 100 Yen Shop had 5 floors.  Erin and I spent an hour browsing inside.

Later, Erin started waving at someone.  I'm thinking - who is she waving at???  And, it was the couple that took us to the 100 Yen Store.

People here are kind and polite.  And, if they have the time, they think nothing of going out of their way to help someone.  I'm not saying we don't cross paths with kindness in the U.S.  And maybe part of this specific example is lended to the fact that most people walk and take trains everywhere.  Cars interfere.  But, you just cannot fully understand until you are here...this is the culture here.  Help people if you can.  Think nothing of going out of your way if you have time.  It's the norm.

No comments:

Post a Comment