Saturday, June 2, 2012

Grocery Store

These were our grocery purchases from our second grocery trip.  During this trip I learned how it felt when your little girl (Sarah) knocks over about 30+ individual containers of noodles from an end-cap in the middle of the grocery store where you cannot convey an apology to the three store clerks that quickly came over to clean it up.  I helped of course.  And, I was embarrassed.  And I realized that I need to learn how to say "I am sorry" in Japanese...after all, I do have two children.  (Learning to say 'moshiwakearimasen' will take some practice.)

I thought I would show you some of the things and tell you some stories from this trip:

This is ground beef...I almost came home with ground pork - which looks only a shade lighter than ground beef.  I had chosen that first, but thankfully, I asked to make sure the package I selected was actually cow.  Really, if I did bring home ground pork my husband, would have ate it anyway because he is easy-going and eats everything I make.  However, he may have been the only one eating it ;)
Another thing I wanted to try to share with you is the size of the package.  I tried to show you by placing it next to this regular sized coloring book...the package is about 1/4 of it's size.  It cost 304 Yen ($3.89).  I'm not sure what it weighs, but I'd guess 1/3 of a pound??? 
And this, my friends, is rice.  If you look back at the picture I posted from our first trip to the grocery store, Sarah is standing in front of all the choices of rice.  Lots of very large bags.  Thankfully, I found a shopper who knew someone else in the store who spoke English.  That woman, told me this package of rice says that you do not have to rinse the rice before cooking.  Many varieties of rice need to be rinsed before made.  Which is simple to do, but since I come from the land of 'minute' rice - rinsing it would definitely be a necessary detail.

I opted for the rice that doesn't need rinsing.  One less thing to worry about.  And when I got home, Miyuiki graciously read
 the package to me to tell me how to cook it in the rice cooker.  What would I do without her????  Seriously, I'd be lost.



Here are some carrots we bought.  They are the largest (in diameter) carrots we've ever seen.  I tried to show in this picture that one of them is a wide of my thumb.  I cut them up, boiled them with one of our meals (the seasoned chicken you see in the picture above).  Very good, taste the same as any other carrot.

This grocery trip...2906 Yen = $37.20.




No comments:

Post a Comment