Saturday, June 2, 2012

Weekend 2: Italian Restaurant

This is an Italian Restaurant we went to on Friday night to begin our second weekend in Japan.  I am in love!!!  I think it was the ambiance or maybe because the food tasted exactly like something we eat at home.  You know how after you've been sick for a couple days, you think bologna tastes good?  It could be that was part of it.  Although, I'm not comparing this food to bologna, I'm just saying we haven't had a meal for a week and a half that is exactly like we are used to, so finding that could multiply it's wonder.

But, also the restaurant was so charming, the manager was so cute (in his manner) and he gave the girls ice cream after they finished their dinner...which he described to us as a 'present' because he spoke little English. I suspect he felt it was special to be hosting guests from America.

The restaurant had seriously three tables.  And, it still makes me laugh when Jim was trying to order the girls a bowl of plain noodles.  It tickled us to watch the manager first understand the order and then to watch his face as he tried to make sure he understood that we wanted a bowl of plain noodles and to digest that thought while trying to appear to not think we were crazy.  The look on his face still makes me giggle.  But, it was for the girls...so that explains it to you and I.

So, Jim and I both had a meal and a glass of beer/wine, we ordered an appetizer, the girls shared a bowl of noodles and Grace had orange juice and Sarah water.  We were not undercharged (except for the 'present' of ice cream) and our bill was $35.  That's it.  Jim and I feel like we can't go to the Olive Garden and get similar meals, just for the two of us, for that.

And, here is the thing.  You don't tip in Japan.  And of course we've had this great experience and just totally love this guy and we don't know how to express our deep appreciation for the great food, nice environment, happy time, etc.  We decided to ask if it would be acceptable to tip even though we thought it was not the custom, the manager (of course) replied no.  But, he said the largest compliment would be that he knew what was felt in 'the heart.'    I felt that was just the best description of gratitude that I've ever heard.  A perfectly, perfect evening.





2 comments: