Thursday, June 14, 2012

Kids Plaza Osaka

Today I decided to be brave.  I decided that I was going to take the girls on a train (without Jim) and go to Kids Plaza Osaka.  It's basically a large Children's Museum.  And, we made it there (and back) with no trouble.

Lucky for me the Kids Plaza was literally across the street from the train station, but I didn't know that before I got there.  So, mission accomplished.  And, Miyuki also gave me great directions out of the train station so we didn't even spend any time wondering around because we walked right instead of left.

This was a three story building full of hands-on learning activities.  And, the girls and I spent the entire day there.  (from about 11 a.m.-4 p.m.).

Here to the left you see the girls under a little plastic bubble sphere and water
splashing all over them.  So, they could feel like they were getting water dumped on them without getting wet.  The girls thought it was pretty neat.




 
They also had this area set up where you created a filmstrip and placed it in this spinning bowl when you were finished so you could watch your cartoon reel.

They had a large area of musical instruments from all over the world that the girls' spend time investigating.

 Here the girls are working on building various types of Japanese homes (from a long time ago).

And below, the girls are grocery shopping...

The funniest part of the day occurred when I decided to buy a Passport (membership) so we could come back several times for the rest of the summer.  I found out that I could use today's tickets toward the purchase of a 6 month membership.  So,when I went to the information/ticket desk...let's imagine an English speaking person and two Japanese speaking people trying to communicate how to fill out the membership form when each of us did not speak the other language.  We got past the cost part pretty easily.  Then they handed me the form to fill out.  After a few minutes another lady and gentleman who worked there showed up to help.  The lady spoke some English so that did ease things for us.  They asked me to fill out my address on the form (now, you need to know that I actually don't know my address in Japan off the top of my head).  It was apparent that I needed to know where I live (haha) and then I thought that I may have it in an email on my phone - and thankfully, I did.  Now imagine them letting me know the next line was to enter my phone number.  We don't have a phone number in Japan.  No real need.  When I told them that, they are pointing to my cell phone fairly quizzically (and of course thinking I'm crazy!).  I found it comical (but didn't laugh until later).  And, I tried to explain that while I do have a cell phone it does not ring here and it's only for email, etc.

And, the best part of the day...when I tucked the girls in tonight I asked them what their favorite part of the Kids Plaza was today...their response was that they could not choose because it was all so good!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Blundys!! I love reading all of your posts!! Each story is endearing and so interesting!! I'm guessing you could be a tour guide for others soon. Glad that you all are having fun and getting to do so much together!!

    ReplyDelete